Description: Alicorn Princess Blast is an arcade experience comprising of action packed game play, nostalgic art reminiscent of the Super Nintendo era of gaming, and a 32 bit soundtrack. As the lead designer of this project, my main tasks were to produce, test, and balance game player mechanics and features that were either my own or were submitted by the team I lead. As the project developed into what it is now, my team and I became designer/developer hybrids and began coding the mechanics, events, and enemies using the tools and APIs created by the programming team.
Role(s): Creative Director,Game Designer, Level Designer
- Creative Director
- Oversaw all creative decisions associated with the game
- Coordinated efforts between teams to produce prototypes for testing
- Delegated tasks to team mates making sure each got experience in all areas
- Game Designer
- Created, updated and maintained professional documentation
- Analyzed player feedback data from play tests
- Design and implemented core user interface
- Level Designer
- Created framework for creating enemy AI components in Unity3D using C#
- Created Mock-ups of level paths and event locations
- Created grey box prototypes for most of the levels
One of my most difficult challenges on this project was designing and implementing the up-gradable weapons system that is used in the game. The goal for the system is to have it be engaging from a player perspective while allowing the developers to place any kind of weapon they want to allow the player to attain and the amount of experience points it required to attain the weapon. The end result was a more engaging experience that was brought about through the rigorous testing I went through to find tune the weapons without having to touch or change the code behind the weapon itself–pure iteration!